Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Friday, June 25, 2010

Recipe: Homemade Granola

I grew up on homemade granola. Oh YUM. If you have only had store bought granola you don't know what you are missing!

I took my mom's recipe & my mother-in-law's recipe, combined them and tweaked it a bit to my changing taste. Here is how our family loves granola.

CRUNCHY GRANOLA

5 c. oats (I usually use quick oats)
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. milled flax seed
1/2 c. coconut
1 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. sesame seeds
1 1/2 c. nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc. whatever you want!)
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c. water
3/4 c. oil
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. molasses
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp mapleine (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flax seed, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, nuts, Blend well. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine water, brown sugar, oil, honey molasses, salt, vanilla, and mapleine. Heat and stir until sugar and honey are dissolved. Do not boil. Pour syrup mixture over dry mixture, and mix up well. Cover large cookie sheet with the granola mixture. Cook for 30-35 minutes for soft granola, longer for crunchy granola. Cool completely before putting into an air-tight container. Sometimes I end up cooking it for about 45 minutes if I am in the mood for really crunchy.

I love to eat granola for breakfast or snacks! I always top it with fresh fruit in the spring and summer or canned peaches in the winter. Right now I love it with fresh blueberries or strawberries.

1 comments:

Tammy said...

That sounds yummy.

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!