Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Recipe: Homemade Condensed Soups

Did you have any idea you can make your own condensed soups, like cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, etc.? YOU CAN! I found out about this awhile ago and decided to try it. And I am telling you....the homemade version tastes SO GOOD!

I think I just might be sold. I did this on a weeknight when I needed a can of cream of chicken soup and didn't have one in the cupboard. No matter...I just whipped up my own! Here is a picture of mine when I was done:

I was making a chicken gravy for Hawaiian Haystacks for dinner that evening. And I will tell you....I have never had gravy that good! It tasted much better than when I use the condensed soup from the store. And healthier too!

1 C. Magic Mix
3/4 C. Chicken Broth (either from a can, bouillion, or liquid from canned chicken)
1 t. Dry Parsley
Dash of Onion Salt

Mix together with wire whisk over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.


I found out about this from Everyday Food Storage, a fantastic blog that helps you use your food storage in everyday ways and recipes. If you don't look at her blog regularly, you should! Crystal even has how-to videos which are VERY helpful! Browse around her site a bit, but here are the direct links to what you need to know in making your own condensed soups.

Condensed Cream of Chicken
Condensed Cream of Mushroom
Condensed Cream of Celery
How to make Magic Mix (used to make the condensed soups)

I know it might sound weird, but try it! I couldn't believe it myself until I used it. If anything, they will be a bit healthier for you too.

3 comments:

rumblebug said...

I've been reading that blog for a while now and just recently adventured into homemade soup mixes using Magic Mix and it's the best ever!!! Also, you should DEFINTIELY try the chocolate pudding recipe from her site using the Magic Mix, it's the best pudding I've ever had.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. Can't WAIT to try it.

I'm assuming this recipe makes soup that is prepared as you would to serve as a bowl of soup. I have a great enchilada recipe that calls for undiluted, condensed soup.

Wondering how I can replace that kind of thick, undiluted soup in my recipe with home-made.

Marne said...

I didn't think about that Brenda. When I mixed it up for my recipe I just used it as is in my recipe and it was prefect. Of course, my recipe also had milk in it.

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!