Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tips for Storing Oil

If you are like me you try to have some cooking basics on hand. It's hard to make frugal meals or meal plan if you have nothing in the pantry. Additionally, I keep extra basics on hand for emergency purposes.


Canola oil is my oil of choice. Did you know that there are things you can do to make your oil last longer? Yes, there are!

1. Keep your oil in a cool place. Most olive oils and canola oils will stay good for around 7-9 months after opening if kept tightly closed and in regulated temperatures. A few times I have had oil go rancid before the expiration date. But that is rare since I use it quickly and as long as I keep it cool and in a dark place.

2. If at all possible, keep your oil away from light. Keeping it in a cupboard with a door, or even covering it with cloth if it is on an open shelf will help.

If your oil is rancid (smells bad and has an awful taste), don't cook with it. I know you can make soap with rancid oil but I haven't tried my hand at that.

Any tips from you?

0 comments:

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!