Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Amazing Powers of Vinegar

Do you know about the amazing powers of vinegar? You really don't need to be spending all that money on various cleaning supplies....vinegar will clean almost anything! It is extremely cheap, good on the environment and safe around children and pets. Vinegar has been around for thousands of years, and is really one of the best things you can always have on hand. There are over 1000 uses for vinegar that I could find, probably more! Check out the tips on the websites listed here.

Vinegar Tips
Cleaning with Vinegar
Vinegar: The only cleaner you will ever need
The Vinegar Institute

Here are some of my favorite uses for vinegar:

  • cleaning out my washing machine. Ever notice how there sometimes gets to be a film on the inside of the machine? Or it might just smell a little? Well, fill the washer with hot water, pour in about 3/4 c. vinegar and let agitate for several minutes. Then let sit overnight. In the morning, let agitate again for several minutes, then rinse well.
  • cleaning the shower. Stop spending money on those 'clean shower' sprays! Use a mixture of vinegar and water after you shower and it keeps the mildew away. Also, spraying full strength vinegar on your shower doors and letting it sit before spraying it off will help get off water deposits.
  • cleaning windows. I pour water into an empty spray bottle, add a few Tbl of vinegar and mix well. It does a great job cleaning my windows.
  • making my own buttermilk. I never buy buttermilk...I always make my own! Mix in 1 Tbl vinegar to 1 cup milk, and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Whalla...Buttermilk! I always use this in recipes and no one can tell the difference.

  • cleaning the microwave. To make cleaning your microwave easy, get a bowl of water, mix in a few Tbl of vinegar and put in the microwave for about 1 minute on high. The hot water will steam up the caked-on food, and wipe up will be a breeze...not to mention having a fresher smelling microwave!
There are still places in my house I like to use disinfectants on, but vinegar can do it for many other spots for me. What do you use vinegar for?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I use vinegar on my hair. You mix about 3-4 cups water with 1/2 cup vinegar. I pour in on my hair in the shower and just work it in well. Rinse, and then shampoo as usual. It helps get rid of build-up from hair products. It will make your hair shiny too!

Sims Family said...

Wow I will have to try the buttermilk think, I am always buying it. Thank you.

Marne said...

Kelli, how much smell is left in your hair?

theballardgirlsandboy said...

Wow, I LOVE all these ideas! I've heard of a couple before, but it's always a great reminder! Thanks so much for posting!

syringachalet said...

Dont forget to use the 50 cent coupon that you can print TWO of at www.heinzvinegar.com. Just Sharing The Wealth

MelanieJ said...

Thank you, thank you for all these great reminders! What a timely post!
I have done vinegar in the dishwasher to take away hard water spots on dishes. I run the dishes through like normal, then I start up the cycle again, wait until there is a couple of inches of warm water in the bottom of the d/w, then I put in about 1 cup of vinegar. For really stubborn stains, I have put up to two cups. I don't think you can overdo it with vinegar. Begone hard water spots!

Coral Lee said...

Someone must mention it must be white distilled vinegar or it wont do the things its supposed to. Cider vinegar won't work

Jamie and Erin said...

I keep a spray bottle full of full-strength vinegar and spray on my fresh fruits and veggies and then rinse well with water. It does the same thing as those expensive produce sprays you buy at grocery stores.

Smith Family said...

If you have colored hair it will strip the color from your hair. I use it in my dishwasher as a drying agent you can do it in your laundry as softner. I pretty much clean everything with vinegar and water. You can also add essential oils to it to make it smell better.

Marne said...

great tips everyone!

Candi said...

If you forget the laundry in the washer and it gets that "moldy" smell, just run it through another cycle and add about 3/4 cup white vinegar - smell gone!

Anonymous said...

Once a month, I use diluted cider vinegar to rinse my hair. It strips away built-up conditioners, etc. and leaves no odor. I've never had a problem with it affecting my haircolor (I use Ion haircolor, and sometimes L'Oreal.)

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!