Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam: The easy method

I love freezer jam! Especially strawberry freezer jam. A few years ago I discovered a much easier way to make freezer jam instead of using box pectin that you have to cook. It's these pectin packets from Ball...no cook freezer jam pectin. I can literally make freezer jam in 15 minutes. Seriously people...this is the way to go!

I also love using this method because it takes much less sugar. It's only 1 1/2 cups of sugar per pectin packet. And it still tastes really good.

First, crush your fruit. Don't puree it, however or your jam will be runny. I like mine slightly chunky. For one packet of the freezer jam pectin, you will need 4 cups of crushed fruit. Also, you will need 1 1/2 cups of sugar and jars or containers for your jam. Notice my jars...they are recycled jars I have used over and over again for my freezer jam. I think it's a waste of money to buy those pretty jam containers in the store (unless you are giving them as gifts) so I use any empty jar I can find at home, a dressing jar, jelly jar, you name it. It's one more way to pinch those pennies.

Then you mix your sugar and pectin together. (all these are the directions on the back of the pectin package, by the way.)


Put with your crushed fruit and stir for 3 minutes.

After stirring it will look like this. A little more runny. That's why you don't want to completely puree your fruit to begin with. Now you are ready to put the jam into your jars or containers.


After putting into the jam into the jars, let stand until jelled, for about 30 minutes. DONE! Label and put into your freezer. Easy and so yummy!

What is your favorite kind of freezer jam?

10 comments:

Micki Smith said...

This is by far my favorite way of doing it as well after trying multiple things last year. I actually use right under a cup of sugar, making it less (it sets up great) and we are still enjoying containers of it from a great buy on strawberries last September. The Ball packages are pretty cheap at Walmart - can't go wrong (made tons of homemade blackberry as well, but strawberry is my fave). Tried peach - no go. :)

Bonnie said...

There is also a VERY easy strawberry freezer jam using jello. I'm not sure how much the pectin packets cost but jello is pretty cheap when it's on sale.

Super EASY Recipe:
10 cups strawberries, washed and crushed
2 cups sugar
2 large (6oz) boxes strawberry jello
In very large saucepan, combine strawberries and sugar. Let stand for 1 hour. Heat to boiling. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Make sure to wipe down or clear all sugar granules from the pan sides (or the jam will go grainy later). Stir in jello. Spoon into clean plastic tubs or jar. Freeze. Thaw in refrigerate before use.

M.S. said...

I love this stuff! I do raspberry-peach freezer jam. It is MY favorite.

Donna Howard said...

I use clear-jel. Five cups mashed fruit, maybe 2-3 cups sugar, maybe less, mixed with 3 Tbsp. clear jel. Make like your jam, and your jam looks really good too. But I think clear-jel is cheaper because you can use less of it.

Tressa said...

Can I just REALLY recommend that you try adding some lime to your strawberry freezer jam? That ended up being our favorite, and was the first freezer jam to disappear here at our house. Squeeze some fresh lime juice, and if you want even add some lime zest as well. Super yummy!

Laura H said...

Thanks for the idea. The recipe I looked into require a TON of sugar. Thanks

terrah said...

Where do you get these packets? I got one, but it was sold in a package with the jars. It was much better than the other brand I bought, but I couldn't find the packets sold individually. Any ideas?

Love from Erika said...

I have never made jam, but love strawberry and this sounds so easy. I really want to try it. Thank you for sharing your EASY money saving tip!

Marne said...

I have bought then at Walmart, Winco, and Albertson's. At Walmart they are $1.59 a pack.

Natalie said...

I've bought them at Walmart and Macey's before.

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!