Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Walgreens Register Rewards

I wrote this post awhile ago, but thought I would share here as there have been many questions about how Register Rewards at Walgreens work. I hope this info is helpful for you!


What is a Register Reward (RR?) A Register Reward is printed off after a certain item or combination of items are purchased from Walgreens. These deals change week to week and can be spotted in the Walgreens circulars. The RRs that are printed off can be used like cash at any Walgreens as long as you pay attention to the expiration dates on the RRs and follow a few easy rules. You have to owe more than the amount your RR is worth - this total cannot include medicines, gift cards and pharmacy items (in most stores). Register Rewards can only be used at Walgreens.

You cannot buy two of the same product offering RRs and expect two RRs to print off.

Example: Last week when I purchased the Vaseline lotion and the Colgate toothpaste, each bottle of lotion and each tube of toothpaste had to be done in a separate transaction so I could get the $2 RR for the lotion and the $3.29 RR for the toothpaste each time. Since they were two different RR promos I could do them in the same purchase.

You can't use a RR from one product purchase to purchase an identical product and get another RR.

Example: After I purchased my Colgate toothpaste for $3.29 and used my coupon, I received my $3.29 RR after payment. I was making another purchase with more Colgate toothpaste next. If I would have used my $3.29 RR towards that purchase, I would have not gotten another $3.29 RR for my second toothpaste purchase. You just need to save the RRs for other purchases or other RR purchases. You can use a RR from an unrelated deal like a $3 reward from a different product, just not one from an identical deal to what you are doing.

Why is my RR beeping and not working on my order? You must buy a product that you have NO coupon for each Register Reward you use. If you have a coupon for every item in your order, whether they are manufacturer or store coupons, you will need to buy a 'filler item'...like e a .25 candy bar so the RR has something to attach itself to.

Example: If you are buying 3 packs of diapers, 2 bottles of Garnier, and Sambucol in one order, you will need a filler item (if you want to use an older RR on your transaction) because every item in your order will have a coupon with it. Just remember too what was discussed above.

As long as you buy the correct product(s), they're programmed correctly by Walgreens and if the register's printer is working properly, the catalina will print. If it doesn't, it's a problem in one of these three areas. It has nothing to do with any coupons you used or anything else. Don't let the cashier tell you you can't use coupons on RR orders. All you need to remember is to make sure your total comes to the right amount BEFORE coupons. Then you will be fine!

Example: When I bought my Huggies the other morning, I bought 3 pks for $10. That brought my total to $30. The required amount for the RR is $25. So I reached my required limit. Then I used my $15 in coupons. I got my $10 RR at the end of the transaction.

Watch the expiration dates! RR have short expiration dates, less than 2 weeks. So don't let them expire.

SOME MORE GOOD TIPS:
Try to plan your Walgreen's trips around your RR that you have to use. Use them on the Free After Rebate items if you have nothing else to spend them on. If the RR are about to expire, use them on items you need all the time anyway. Don't let them go to waste!

5 comments:

ths67 said...

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to really understand RRs (thank you so much for this tutoral) but here you seem to contradict yourself (is it just a type or am I not understanding it correctly -- you say you can't do two RRs in the same transaction and get two RRs printed, but the last sentence you say that they were different and could do in same transaction):

you said:

You cannot buy two of the same product offering RRs and expect two RRs to print off.

Example: Last week when I purchased the Vaseline lotion and the Colgate toothpaste, each bottle of lotion and each tube of toothpaste had to be done in a separate transaction so I could get the $2 RR for the lotion and the $3.29 RR for the toothpaste each time. Since they were two different RR promos I could do them in the same purchase.

Thanks!

Marne said...

Sorry about the confusion. I guess I didn't explain it very clearly.

You can't use a RR from a Vaseline purchase and use it on another Vaseline purchase and get another RR. BUT you can use the RR from the Vaseline purchase and use it on another RR promo, like Colgate, and get that RR to print out. As long as they are different promos you can roll the RR on subsequent purchases.

Carl said...

Just offering a little further clarification here on the use of coupons and RRs. If you are buying the mentioned Colgate and Vaseline, as given in the example, and you have manufacturers coupons for each item, AND you have RRs you want to use, you will have to pick up some of the mentioned fillers. The rules for coupon use at Walgreens state that you can't have more coupons than items being purchased, no matter the amount of the coupons.

You also can't use coupons to cover your tax. Use fillers to make sure that you are paying for the tax on the total out of your pocket. As long as the coupon deductions haven't taken off some tax, you are good to go. An example for that would be if you did the above-mentioned purchase of Colgate and Vaseline, and had 2 manufacturers coupons, and wanted to use your RR (or RRs, plural) you would need to make certain you had enough items to go with your coupons. You also want to be certain that your coupons and RR totals don't discount more than the total of the items being purchased. Walgreens' registers will beep at you if you try to make the coupons pay for the tax. I found this out the hard way when learning. *blush*

ths67 said...

Got it! NOW I understand! Thanks for the clarification and for explaining RRs so well. I've been doing major couponing, CVS, and the Rite Aid SCRs for a few months now, but Walgreens has remained a bit of a mystery. Looking forward to some good deals in the future.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty new at couponing and due to a busy schedule, I've limited myself to just shopping at Albertson's and CVS. Would you say that these Walgreens policies are more or less the same at CVS? Or do they have their own set of rules?

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!