Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Monday, January 18, 2010

How to eat a Grapefruit and not waste any fruit.


I love grapefruit but I have also been annoyed by how much I have felt was wasted in the way that I have always ate them. In my family growing up we always just cut them in half and scooped out what we could with a spoon. I think my grandma even had special little spoons that the had jagged edges.

So I set out to find a way to not waste any edible part of a grapefruit. Maybe everyone else already knew how to do this --- but I want to share anyway.

Put a pan of water on to boil. When the water is boiling remove the pan from the heat source and put your unpeeled grapefruit in the water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Carefully remove the fruit from the water and as soon as you can touch it begin to peel. You will be able to easily removed the thick white stuff... I don't know what it is called. Once you have that removed you will be able to easily break apart each section and remove all of the section casings.

I cannot believe how easy this was! Oh yeah and the inside of the fruit really doesn't get hot when you do this.

5 comments:

theballardgirlsandboy said...

I love all of your tips! Thanks for sharing!

Becky said...

does this work for oranges too? I have an orange peeler but it still doesn't help me get the ucky white stuff off

Beth and John Schaub said...

The white stuff is called the pith of the fruit. I am so excited to try this! Thanks for the info!

Christy said...

Cool!! I love this tip!

Steve said...

Well, this did work, but not sure it was worth the effort, personally. I think I will stick with the old fashion way of digging with a grapefruit spoon.

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!