Pages

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

PYP on the news!

Monday, April 12, 2010

Homemade Smoothie Popsicles

Warmer weather is upon us and soon it will be time for cool snacks, like popsicles! What kid doesn't like a popsicle? I really prefer to not give my kids Otter Pops and other cool treats that are just filled with sugar and coloring additives. So I make my own popsicles. Now you can just freeze juice or pudding, but blending up a mixture of fruit & vegetables mixed with yogurt or honey can make a really yummy snack...and much healthier too!

Here are some I made last week. They were gone in just a few days. My kids devour 'em!


I usually use whatever I have on hand, but I have written down a few of the smoothie recipes I make. Keep in mind these are only approximate portions, however, because I use what I have on hand or change my mind all the time. I never measure anything. It also depends on how much I want to make as to the portion sizes. They always turn out different, but good!

Orange Julius
1/4 c. orange juice concentrate
1 1/2 c. milk
1 or 2 bananas
3-4 raw baby carrots
handful of fresh pineapple
handful frozen peaches
half apple cut into chunks
1 c. vanilla yogurt
honey to sweeten (optional)

Blend until smooth! I use frozen fruit so I don't add any ice. If you use canned or all fresh you will want to add ice. Can also add pears or any other yellow or orange fruit or veggie.

Purple Passion
1/2 c. vanilla yogurt
1 c. milk
handful of frozen blueberries & raspberries & strawberries
small handful raw baby spinach
3-4 baby carrots
1 banana
honey to sweeten

Blend until smooth! Like I said above, if you don't use frozen fruit add ice.

Peanut Butter Blast (this one is more of a yummy treat!)
1 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 banana
chocolate syrup
small handful of graham crackers
ice

Blend until smooth.


Do you make homemade popsicles? Let us know what you do.

7 comments:

Lauralee Altice said...

Where did you get your popsicle molds?

Meshell said...

I love these! Just added bag of frozen fruit to my Costco list! =) Where did you get those popsicle holders? I love them!

Unknown said...

WHERE did you get those Popsicle molds? I am trying to start a tradition to make popsicles every Sunday and my four-year-old has let me know-very frequently that I keep forgetting. I think those cute things might help me remember and make them healthy!

Marne said...

Mine are the old Tupperware style molds. I took one set when I left home 15 years ago and the others I have gotten on Ebay or at thrift stores. I love em!

Marne said...

Oh, and Michele, I love using the frozen fruit from Costco too!

Meshell said...

awesome! thanks! bidding on a set now!! =)

Unknown said...

I like to take a bottle of canned peaches or apricots, put the whole thing in the blender, juice and all, and put that in the molds. They are delicious just like that and healthy!

Followers

PYP Forums State Forums Coupons 101 Register Contact PYP on Facebook Real Mom Kitchen blog

Welcome to PYP - The BEST source for original grocery deals and information. We don't just recirculate second-hand deals from around the blogosphere - PYP is where it all starts! We have oodles of insider info, fabulous deals, ROCKIN' forums, and comprehensive shopping lists created by volunteers and staff. Look around and see what we have for you!